Saturday, May 15, 2010

Groovy++? Ok, so where's the beef?

Update: You can find the sources at http://code.google.com/p/groovypptest/downloads/list

If you're a software professional who uses Groovy, you or your colleagues greatest concern about it is likely to be performance. Groovy++, while having a horrible name, provides a jar which apparently provides some mag-i-cal Groovy performance gains. According to its authors', this new 'Groovy-ness' will be released under the Apache Public License. Terrific! Wonderful! Hurray!

So where's the fracking code?

I can understand a need for control. I can understand the author's desire to turn this into something significant for themselves financially. A man's got to eat. But until the code is open and can be inspected by some experts, I remain skeptical of Groovy++. I am hopeful however that performance improvements can be made given enough manpower and talent. Too bad we all have day jobs ;)

Labels:

4 Comments:

At May 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Code is available at http://code.google.com/p/groovypptest/downloads/list

 
At May 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Kimble said...

Yeah, day job sucks! ;p

Anyway, I'm really curious about Groovy++. Not that any of the applications our company has in production really needs any performance gain, but hey, we're all nerds :-)

 
At May 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Geoff Flarity said...

Thanks for the pointer to the source. I will update the post :)

 
At May 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Geoff Flarity said...

Kimble: I was actually a bit surprised by the performance results I linked to in the article. I'd love to see some professional testing done on Groovy vs java first.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home